Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Sunny Days in Ithaca











WiP Wednesday!

Today's mug rugs.


Scraps.


Cut. Sew. Cut. Sew.


Tops.


Backs.

Now some bindings and these will be ready for the show.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Finishing Up & Getting on to the Next


Table Runner for J to match her napkins.


Take two.


Mug rugs for the upcoming show.


Room for two mugs or a mug and pot of tea.

Stay tuned for more show wares.

Friday, May 13, 2011

Studio Make Over

It's been a busy week here in the little yellow house with a serious overhaul of the guest room, which will be my new sewing studio. Monday was spent sanding and painting the $15 dresser I picked up last year at the Salvation Army. Those of you who saw it before with red handles and panda bears will be pleasantly surprised (photos of it to come). Tuesday I spent the day clearing out the room, ripping up the carpet and painting the trim.


Cleared out with carpet.


Without the carpet and with Finnegan the helper!

Wednesday was spent painting. I had debated grey and purple, but my neighbour had an unopened can of grey paint left over from her kitchen so I went with the free colour. I think the grey, white, black will be nice and will give a great back drop for photographing my work!


New 'Pewter Grey' walls.

There was much debate about what to do with the floor. Eventually I think that laminate will go in, but my neighbour told me about a technique that she had seen online using craft paper. I watched the video and thought that I should give it a try since I have had a large roll of craft paper that gets moved from room to room depending on what I need the space for. Check out the video here.

Thursday my friend K and I glued down the craft paper.


Wet glue.


Dry glue.

Today I put 3 coats of polyurethane on and there will be two more tomorrow, then I can start moving furniture in and start sewing!

There was some crazy old tile under this and the glue made the colour leech out a little bit, so if/when I do this again over similar flooring I will put down two layers of paper, otherwise this has been an inexpensive floor solution that was really easy and fun to do!

Check back soon for the set up studio pics!

Friday, May 6, 2011

Getting There

I haven't updated lately, but I have been working away on this monster quilt.


The large nine patches were quilted last week, I appliqued on top of the quilting and the pieced the nine smaller nine patches together. This is the front.


Detail 1.


Detail 2.


The back.

Today I will put the binding on and start hand stitching it down. I can't wait to send this to its new home!